The problem of training dentists in Russia is particularly exacerbated in the XIX century. Zubolikarska care provided to patients is not due to lack of staff, because they are not prepared or in Russia (until 1881) nor in Ukraine (in 1900). In this regard, a prominent surgeon of that time, MV Sklifosovsky the VI Congress of naturalists and physicians were substantiated proposal to the need for dentists with higher medical education in medical faculties of universities. But after the First World War the issue of training of medical staff dentist who can provide specialized help kfalifikovanu, began to take real shape.In Kharkov and Kiev and zubolikarskyh medical circles of the years vynoshuvalasya thought that skilled and specialized dental care population of Ukraine will be able to provide only doctors who have chosen the profession of a dentist from the beginning of the first steps of training on dental faculties of medical institutes or institutes of dental medicine where the training period may be limited to four years.September 30, 1921 Ukrholovprofosu board decided to create odontology department in the Kharkiv Medical Academy and relevant arrangements, as well as recruitment of students and scientific personnel. November 8, 1921 at a small college sasidanni Ukrholovprofosu decision was made to transform the Kharkiv Medical Academy of Medical Institute with two faculties: medical and odontology. This historic decision was laid the foundation of higher dental education in Ukraine as an integral branch of dentistry recognized the clinical medicine.
Right odontology department inherited in 1931 from Kharkov Institute of Dentistry, from 1967 – Poltava Medical Stomatological Institute, and the first since 1994 – Ukrainian Medical Stomatological/Dental Academy (UMSA) . In its formation and development of Ukrainian Medical Dental Academy was a thorny path, which can be conventionally divided into six periods: the first – from the moment of odontology department of the Kharkiv Medical Academy (1921 – 1931), second – from the moment of transformation in the faculty of independent dental Kharkov Institute ( 1931 – 1941), third – period evikuatsiyi in Frunze (Kyrhyzska SSR) and its functioning as a medical school faculty Kyrhyzskoho (1941 – 1944); fourth – reevakuatsiya in Kharkiv after its liberation from Nazi invaders, restoration of base training and further development of scientific research (1944 – 1967), fifth – the transfer of Poltava and its transformation in Poltava Medical Stomatological Institute (1968 – 1993); sixth – in 1994, converting from the Institute of Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy.
The first period (1921 – 1931)
Sklifosovsky In September 1921 the first year odontology department of Kharkiv Medical Academy began training 250 people with secondary education. The second course enrolled 169 students who went on 2 zubolikarskoyi shkolyi course during the summer holidays prostudiyuvaly reduced rate of medical and biological sciences. When faculty were created 4 special department of conservative dentistry to propaedeutical odontology (Head – Professor M. Hofunh), prosthetic dentistry in orthodontics (the head – IA Baranov) operative dentistry of the jaw orthopedics and oral surgery separate and adjacent areas (Head – Professor B. maker). Theoretical and obscheklinicheskie subjects were studied in the relevant departments of the institute. Core faculty base was Kharkov State zubolikarska school.
During its existence the Faculty formed capable, qualified, friendly staff, who along with solving educational problems made a significant contribution to the development of medical science. Personnel Department created 13 teaching aids in dentistry and a large number of manuals for students. Among the teachers who worked in those years on the faculty, was known anatomist Academician VP Vorobyov, author of famous works of modern methods of embalming. That he was entrusted in 1924 to embalm the body of Lenin.
Summing up the first decade of the faculty, it should be noted that he, together with the Faculty of odontology KMI became the first specialized universities for the training of dentists, dental education teaching centers in Ukraine.
The second period (1931 – 1941)
The process of formation and further development of dental faculty and the institute was held in very difficult conditions prevailing in the early 30’s. The economic difficulties that this country was going through, finding ways out of them demanded measures to protect human health, expand the network of hospitals, sanatoriums, rest homes, clinics, dental clinics and so on. To solve these and other tasks can be only provided a quality training of dental personnel.
At that time, in August 1931, Dental Faculty of the Kharkov Medical Institute was reorganized into an independent Kharkov Institute of Dental 4-year term of study. 3 were created special departments: surgical dentistry, dental therapy, prosthetic dentistry. Each department has its training base. The school was staffed by highly qualified teaching staff. Director of the Institute appointed MV Nezhdanova, deputy of scientific study – Professor M. Hofunh. Almost all teachers in special departments have higher medical education.
From September 1931 to September 1941 Institute has prepared 650 doctors, and all of 1921 – 913 dentists. In addition, the correspondence office, and external retraining courses completed more than 2500 dentists, they have qualified dentists.
The third period (1941 – 1944)
June 22, 1941 in the building on the street. Pushkin, 7 held a scientific conference. At 11 o’clock 45 minutes was a break, during which it became aware of the treacherous attack of fascist Germany on the Soviet Union. Anger and resentment aroused in teachers and students of this message. They knew what evil befell the people of the state, home.
On June 23 the Institute held a release specialists dentists. Diplomas dentist was presented to 180 students. 62 students were transferred to another course, 132 – the third, 130 – on the fourth. The same day, Director of the Institute GA Lychman issued an order that required release of the study or the work of all who call be subject to the Red Army, they find a replacement, fully pay salaries, to take them all the affairs and property. Then the order required to reorganize the group in all courses to schedule, organize training for the reduced plan of the USSR People’s Commissariat of Health in accordance with special instructions. Kharkov Dental Institute in the first period in the army sent 45 persons: 27 teachers, 16 staff and 2 students.
Fourth period (June 1944 – May 1967)
Work in operating this time in the history of Ukrainian Medical Stomatological/Dental Academy (UMSA) characterized reevakuatsiyeyu Institute in Kharkov, its formation and development in the postwar period. Director of the Institute in July 1944 was appointed Professor PV Vlasenko – an experienced organizer, a distinguished scientist, a biologist by education. Administration Institute and some medico-biological department were placed in 4-storey building on the street. , 53. Anatomical Department were common for students of medical and dental institutions, based on Kharkiv Medical Institute. Obscheklinicheskie Department were located at the bases of urban hospitals (Children’s 2 nd Soviet and Ying).. Chairs respiratory diseases and eye diseases – based on relevant research institutes, and skin-venereal disease – based on the 4 th venerichnoyu STI clinic.
In 1954 the Soviet government decree dental institutions were reorganized in the dental faculties of medical schools, but two of them – Moscow and Kharkov – left independent dental health institutes. The main areas of scientific research institute employees in the postwar years in dentistry were continuing clinical and morphological and clinical-microbiological study of diseases of teeth and development of methods for their treatment. During these years, along with therapists, surgeons and dentists in the development and improvement of complex treatment of periodontal diseases, injuries, maxillofacial area and the restoration of defective dentition made a significant contribution orthopedic dentists.
Materials Research postwar period are summarized in the doctoral and master’s theses. During these years laid the foundation of several dozens of doctoral and master’s theses.
Fifth period (1968 – 1993)
May 12, 1967 the USSR Council of Ministers adopted resolution number 294 to transfer the Kharkiv Medical Dental Institute in Poltava. In this regard, Ministry of Health Ukraine May 18, the same year issued an order number 269 to transfer the Kharkiv Medical Dental Institute in Poltava during 1967-1968 was carried out two phases of transfer.
At first – in July – August 1967 – was conducted redeployment of departments of medical-biological profile, and their resettlement in Poltava in the 4-story building on Shevchenko, 23 before the school year, until September 1, 1967 In the second stage – in July – August 1968 – were relocated clinical department, in particular, and dental, profile and made training bases for their position to the start of classes.
Students of dental and medical schools fully equipped workstations, equipped with modern apparatus and equipment. For lectures 7 classrooms used for 150-250 seats each, which allows classes with students in one shift. Rectors and management bodies of the Academy created the necessary conditions for high-level educational work by optimizing the method and content of training, increasing complexity and objectivity in the assessment of knowledge, improvement of financial support of the educational process, its individualization, activating education in the learning process.
For 80 years, Ukrainian Medical Stomatological/Dental Academy (UMSA) has prepared all 19,882 professionals, including: dentists – 13341, doctors likuvalnykiv – 6066, nurses – 363, dental technicians – 112, Doctors – 143, Ph.D. – 674 Masters – 114.